I went to Maine in 2007 with a conventional photo backpack. My shoulders hurt and I could tell it was time to think about taking care of my back. That was my primary reason for mimicking my travel companion and getting a vest from Vested Interest immediately upon return to North Carolina.
The advantages go way beyond giving your back a rest. But that is reason enough to get one of these photo vests! You get to custom design your vest for your equipment.. tailor made to your measurements… and the company is delightful to work with. The material is what they use for parachutes and keeps fairly cool even on the really hot days. You can carry everything and even have a sheet to pull out to sit on.
1. Gives your back a rest. Easy to balance the weight for more comfort.
2. You never have to set it on the ground, eliminating bugs crawling onto your bag (yes it has happened to me) and never getting it wet (yes that has happened too)
3. Easily accessible pockets for all your stuff.
4. Great for hiking. Side pockets can be used as armrests!
5. Very durable and although they do not make a waterproof claim… it is quite good at keeping things dry.
6. Totally customizable for you and your equipment or you can order one of their 4 standard models.
7. I know users that have carried their equipment onto airlines with the vest fully loaded with no problem and then put in the overhead. No guarantees with airlines watching baggage so carefully but I’ve heard only good stories.
Call John Storrie at 1 800 928 0157 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org