Make a Starry Sky
- Open a nighttime image or early/late light image which you want to add a starry night sky. You will need to adjust your image if it is a daytime image. Below is a daytime image from Portland, Maine and the outcome isn’t as convincing in my opinion.
- Start with new document the same size as your image.
- Add new layer above the background layer (Layer – New Layer) and call it stars.
- Fill with black. (Edit – Fill – Black)
- Filter – Noise – Add Noise about 120% – Gaussian – Monochromatic. (It will look way too noisy!)
- Filter – Blur – Gaussian Blur – .3
- Image – Adjustments – Levels – bring white slider teeny bit left to brighten the whites – now pull the black slider way to the right until the amount of stars looks right. My black slider is at 200 and white slider at 249.
- Hold down your Shift key while dragging the stars above your image.
- Mask out the part that isn’t sky.